- Action plan to eliminate Kala-Azar and Filariasis by 2017, Leprosy by 2018, Measles by 2020, and tuberculosis by 2025.
- Action plan has been announced to reduce Infant Mortality Rate from 39 in 2014 to 28 by 2019 and Maternal Mortality Rate from 167 in 2011-13 to 100 by 2018-2020.
- 1.5 lakh Health Sub Centres will be transformed into Health and Wellness Centres.
- Two new All India Institute of Medical Sciences will be set up in Jharkhand and Gujarat.
- Increase in allocation for “Human Resources for Health and Medical Education”, specifically for upgrading District Hospitals.
The fourth budget of the present government is a first in many ways. The health sector too witnesses a few changes. In a departure from the previous years, the overall allocation for the health sector in 2017-18 budget (including Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and Ministry of AYUSH) has increased by 27 percent over 2016-17 BE. It is expected that this upward trend in the health budget continues in the coming years.